This latest version of SageTV comes as a free update to anyone who has purchased SageTV 6 so there is no reason not to grab it now. 6.4 has been in public beta testing (all licensed SageTV users can use the public betas) since May 2008 with eight different versions of 6.4 being released like wildfire through last week. That is a very fast update cycle plus everyone gets the opportunity to try out the new features in Beta if they choose to.
What are the major improvements in SageTV 6.4?
- Hauppauge HD-PVR Officially Supported for Windows Users
- Hauppauge HD-PVR Supported on Linux (Experimental for the moment)
- Automatic STVI Generation in the SageTV Studio (this means it’s easier for plugins)
- EXIF metadata/thumbnail support for JPEGs
- New file system & network browser
- H.264 videos from YouTube (this is in addition to the many other online videos you can access from SageTV already
- High definition photo display on the STX-HD100 HD Extender
- File transfers to/from Placeshifter clients
- Editing of aspect ratios on the fly for the STX-HD100
- Lots of bugs fixes & performance enhancements
You can download SageTV 6.4 for your Operating System (Windows, Linux, Mac, Windows Home Server) here
If you have a SageTV HD Extender, go ahead and download your firmware update on it to version “20080812 0” to make sure you get all the latest extender features and improvements.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the next version of SageTV includes - and I bet it won't be long either.