I've been searching for a way to remove the links folder from my IE favorites list. I found a way that works:
First, back up your registry
- Click on the start button > Run > Type: "regedit"
- Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
- Find the stringvalue called "LinksFolderName"
- Doubleclick that stringvalue and delete the value data
- Now, go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
- In that key, right-click and create a DWORD Value and name it "NoSaveSettings".
- Close regedit
- In internet explorer click favorites and organize favorites
- delete the links folder
- now exit internet explorer and the links folder should be gone for good.
I learned this from http://www.techiwarehouse.com/cms/engine.php?page_id=6083dda4