Week 14 of the Winter/Spring 2009 TV Season has arrived. Probably the longest list of new shows we've seen in a while so read on for all of the details.
Harper's Island Premieres Thursday on CBS
Premieres and Returning Shows For this Week:
- The 44th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards (8pm on CBS - avail in HD) -
- The Tudors (9pm on Showtime - avail in HD) - Season 3 or the Tudors arrives on Showtime. I've been catching up on this show thanks to Netflix and it's pretty good. But I don't do the whole paid cable TV channel thing so I'll have to wait until this season is released to DVD.
- In Treatment (10pm on HBO - avail in HD) - The season 2 premier for In Treatment arrives tonight on HBO
- NCAA Basketball Championship (9pm on CBS - avail in HD) - North Carolina takes on Michigan State in the NCAA championship. I'll be pulling for Michigan State because I like the style of basketball they play and I never cheer for Roy Williams...
- Surviving Suburbia (9:30pm on ABC - avail in HD) - A new comedy series on ABC focuses on a father, his wife and their two children. Their normal life is disrupted by new, next-door neighbors that turn their suburban life upside down. If you like Bob Saget, this might appeal to you.
- Rescue Me (10pm on FX - avail in HD) The season 5 premiere of Rescue Me arrives on FX
- Deadliest Warrior (10pm on SpikeTV) - War-mongers from different times and places are pitted against each other in computer-rendered battles. Hmm.
- The Unusuals (10pm on ABC - avail in HD) A new cop drama arrives on ABC. I'll have a difficult time forgetting that one of my favorites from this past season (Life on Mars) was canceled and this show is in essence replacing it. This is being billed as a "comedic procedural" - we'll call it a cop show with some comedy mixed in. I don't know what to expect with this one, but I'll record it and if I get time check it out.
- Parks and Recreation (8:30pm on NBC - avail in HD) - If you've missed the thousand or so commercials touting this show I'd be surprised. But any "Office" or Amy Poehler fans will want to check this one out. It's been billed as an "the Office" spinoff and while I'm not sure I love the storyline, if anyone can pull this off its probably Amy Poehler. I'll be checking it out to see how they do.
- Harper's Island (10pm on CBS - avail in HD) - CBS premiers this new show billed as a "horror-inspired murder mystery drama." A group of friends and family meet to celebrate a wedding on an island outside of Seattle. The island is famous for a series of unexplained murders and everyone seems to get more involved in the mystery than they expected. This is on my record and watch later list.
- Southland (10pm on NBS - avail in HD) - NBC brings us a new drama focused on the lives of police officers from LA. You can check the pilot episode out now on Hulu if you want.
- Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire (10pm on Comedy) - The Comedy channel brings us a new comedy series with a very long name. It has some Monty Python and Princess Bride feel to it - follow Krod and his freedom fighters as they fight evil and try to save the world. It better be funny because it sounds almost to dumb to endure for me.
That’s it for this week. Stay tuned for a few more premieres which you’ll find on GeekTonic this coming Sunday morning and each week on Sundays. New shows still on the way including: "State of the Union" (Showtime), "Prison Break" Spring Premier on Fox, "Sit Down, Shut Up" on Fox, "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" on USA, and "In Plain Sight" on USA. After that we'll be into the Summer seasons - I'm working on the Summer TV Premiere List that should be ready in the next few weeks.