Many were comlaining that they could no longer make free ringtones for their iPhone after upgrading to iTunes 7.4. Well a guy at MacRumors posted how to easily get your music into your iPhone using the new iTunes 7.4 for FREE on both Windows and Mac iTunes.
- Rename the AAC track to .M4R
- Doubleclick the new .M4R file and it loads into iTunes.
- When you plug the iPhone to Sync, check that new song in the ringtones tab
- Done! That was easy now wasn't it.
UPDATE: If you are have upgraded to iTunes 7.4.1 (which was an apple upgrade just to fix the above hack) then you need to do the following extra steps. Thanks to Engadget for the tip:
- Go back and re-rename that m4r file back to m4a.
- That's it. Plug in your iPhone and that ringtone will be added to your syncable ringtones list -- and it won't pop up the error from before.