Plex, the popular Mac-based media center software (a fork of the XBMC HTPC software) had a new version released this weekend along with some nice, new plugins as well.
If you have a Mac and a desire to make that Mac be a Media Center, you’ll want to check out Plex. Plex is a very nice Mac-based HTPC software program that continues to have a healthy amount of software updates as well as plugins and themes as well.
With the new version 0.8.2 of Plex we get the following new features & improvements:
- Plex Media Server photo sources can be used for the slideshow screensaver.
- New setting that links OSX sound volume with Plex sound volume. So you can use your Apple Remote for all volume changes including all plugins. This is especially designed for those without a surround sound receiver controlling the sound.
- Bandwidth-based Caching – dynamically adjusts the cache size depending on the need of the stream. So “lower bandwidth streams start faster while higher bandwidth streams play with less suttering.”
- Improved browsing responsivemenss. Faster UI
- Keyboard backlight turns off during video playback
- Display of end-time for videos
- New Now Playing Visualization
- Improved Snow Leopard Support
There are many more new features and bug fixes. Check all of them out at the Plex Blog
- Gametrailers – watch new videogame trailers, read reviews and upcoming game previews from GameTrailers.com
- Howcast – how-to videos & guides
- MPORA – photos & videos of skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding, BMX, MTB, Motocross & Extreme Sports
- Radio Books
- HD Trailers – download HD movie trailers for viewing.