The team at SageTV continues to grind out new beta releases at a has been releasing beta's for SageTV 6.5 at an almost non-stop pace since November. Today, they released 6.5.12 with a bunch of bug fixes and even some significant new features.
NOTE TO SAGEMC ADD ON USERS:
This update breaks the Video OSD if you use SageMC (extenders and PCs). The developers are working on a fix. Already fixed by SageTV - gotta love how fast they are
Some of the important updates in SageTV 6.5.12 include:
- Official (in beta) Support for subtitles! One of the most asked for features in the history of SageTV and other HTPC programs really is subtitle support for the TV/PVR side of things. The new subtitle support included is listed below:
- Added support for external text based subtitle files in all media players with formats SRT, SUB (MicroDVD or SubViewer), SAMI/SMI, SSA/ASS
- Added support for embedded text based subtitles when played back with the HD200
- Added support for external IDX/VOB (VobSub) subtitle files when played back with the HD200
- Added check for external subtitle files whenever a file is played back
- Added psuedo-outlining to text that is rendered as subtitles (it's not a *real* outline; it's just four text shadows, one done in each corner's direction; much faster than calculating a real outline though and doesn't require additional glyph storage)
- Added audio & subtitle track selection to SageTVPlayer. Audio tracks should work in all cases; subtitle selection is still limited though (this is in addition to the core support for external text-based subtitle files)
- 4. Video playback: Made subtitle on/off toggle dependant on whether any subtitles exist and extended the option to videos instead of only DVDs.
- TIFF photo file support. Another often requested feature from SageTV users is to provide support for viewing of TIFF photos.
- Added .tp file extension to default imported video file extensions. You no longer need to rename or convert your .tp video files to get SageTV to recognize them.
- Several updates for those SageTV users who use Mac and DirecTV
- Many behind-the-scenes Studio Improvements – While this might not sound like much to the non-developer, just know this – SageTV has just eneabled the ability to store and use custom metadata that opens up a whole host of new capabilities for add-on developers. Such as sort by season/espisode for TV series, improvements to fan support and possibly even one of my most often requested items, sort by date added for movies. Before we were limited with a very specific set of metadata allowed by SageTV.
- Many, many more bug fixes and performance enhancers (no not those kind) that should make SageTV that much more enjoyable.
Not to be left out, the SageTV HD Theater Has a beta firmware update: 20090313 2 with the following highlighted updates:
- Subtitles support
- BDMV directory support (Blu-Ray)
- MJPEG decoding in media player mode.
- Increased number of image reference for H264 to match profile 5.1.
- Add wma pro audio decoding.
- Fix some bad cases with files using low resolution pcm audio.
- Fix access to files larger than 2GB over UPNP in media player mode - this is a big one especially for those SageTV users that use PlayOn. Now all your Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video On Demand Movies will work with no problems on the SageTV HD200!
- Tiff images support
- Various minor bug fix
- Many fixes and improvements to the HD Theater Media Player (Standalone) Mode.
To update your HD Theater to the latest beta firmware: While using the HD200 as a Media Player (standalone mode), use the remote's number pad to enter the code 2382 ('beta') on the HD200's Settings -> System Update menu.