It's been another busy week at GeekTonic. We've been putting the Kindle2 through the paces, and trying out lots of new HTPC stuff. In case you missed anything from the past week, here is a summary of the past week's news and stories on GeekTonic.
Check out the GeekTonic Media Gadget Showcase - Be sure and sign up for the Gadget Showcase at GeekTonic. Get started by joining the GeekTonic Flickr Group and adding photos of your media gadgets and Media Setup photos for a chance to win Amazon Gift Certificates and more.
Week In Review:
- Netflix New Watch Now Picks for the Week - Man they're releasing a lot of streaming movies on Netflix these days. Much of it is bargain-bin $1 movies at best, but there are some jewels in there as well.
- Elisa Media Center Now Available for Windows - Elisa, an open-source, Linux-based HTPC software arrives for Windows.
- Boxee Update: New Version & Hulu Lives On via RSS - The Boxee and Hulu cat-and-mouse games begin. Boxee begins supporting Hulu via RSS feeds and within 12 hours Hulu cuts them off again. Then a few hours later Boxee fights back by adding it back. Fun stuff here my friends.
- Barnes and Noble Picks up Fictionwise - If you doubted that eBooks are going to be prevalent in the very near future think again.
- Microsoft Announces the Media Center Sports Channel - Nice new online video provider added to MC
- Media Gadget Showcase - HTPC Build by Sodarkangel - our first of hopefully many showcases
- Hulu Blocks Another Third Party App - Hulu isn't dealing with these guys directly, but is doing the cat-and-mouse game of changing little things to break this Hulu viewer app. Same thing we'll be seeing with Boxee now that they're using RSS
- Blockbuster Rumors of Bankruptcy - The End is Near - I could be wrong, but I see Bankruptcy in Blockbuster's future
- VidaBox Launches Entry Level Media Server
- Vidabox Premium Wireless HTPC Keyboard 10% Exclusive Discount - We have a winner for the Vidabox Premium Wireless HTPC Keyboard. If you didn't win, be sure and get the 10% discount exclusive to GeekTonic readers.
- Kindle for iPhone Has Arrived! - good stuff for iPhone/Kindle2 owners.
- Deal of Day: Free Redbox Movie Wednesdays in March
- New Mac Mini with NVidia Graphics & More Power - HTPC Ready? - Definitely a decent device for HTPCs.
- The Microsoft Vision of the Future
- Deal of the Day: Hauppauge HD-PVR $165 - If you want a Hauppauge HD-PVR to access all Cable/Satellite content including digital channels, check out this deal - best price so far!
- Netflix Polling Members about Streaming Picture Quality
- Netflix Plugin for Windows Media Center Updated for Silverlight
- Amazon Allows Neutering of Kindle 2 Text to Speech - One of my least favorite news items from last week, but hopefully there won't be many books with text-to-speech disabled.
- GeekTonic Month in Review - February 2009
- TV Premieres: What to Watch 3/01 - 3/07 - a favorite of GeekTonic readers. All the new and returning shows for the week. A series on GeekTonic featured each Sunday morning.
Phew! So that's a wrap for this week.
Here's a sneak peek at what's on tap for the coming week:
- Kindle 2 Reviews - Shelly (my wife) has had her review finished for days so after a long week at work, I'm finally putting the finishing touches on my review. Both will be published by Monday. There are many Kindle 2 reviews out by now, but none will come from our unique perspectives. I'm the gadget fanatic fascinated by the new technology and my wife is the avid reader who as a teacher has a very interesting perspective on the Kindle technology. Don't miss these reviews.
- Kindle 2 tips and tricks - if you have a Kindle, you're going to want to check these out. I've been compiling all of the little hidden tricks, hacks and keyboard shortcuts that I'll be sharing over the next couple of weeks.
- Windows Media Center versus SageTV Media Center Roundtable Podcast. I'm teaming up with a couple of guys for a podcast episode that will focus on VisaMC (and Windows 7 MC) compared to SageTV. This one is going to be fun for all and a must-listen for HTPC enthusiasts.
- More Media Gadget Goodness - lots more HTPC and media gadget news, reviews and discussion at GeekTonic coming this week!
Stay tuned for more in-depth content for Media Gadget Fans at GeekTonic.com. If you’re in to the Twitter thing, be sure and follow me on twitter under the name GeekTonic. Thanks for Reading GeekTonic!